Monday, March 10, 2014

Austenland



Ok, so I just watched this movie a week ago or so for the first time, and then watched it yet again 3 days later! It intrigued me, and I needed to see it a second time. So, this movie is about a women who is OBSESSED with everything Jane Austen has written, and she watches all the movie renditions of the books and even memorizes portions of the books. She discovers this place in England called Austenland where you can pay to have an "Austen Experience" by dressing up like people in those times and behaving and speaking like them. So, being Austen's biggest fan, she of course, has to go. She spends her life savings on it after seeing that her life is not what she wants it to be at all. When she gets there, she finds that she has paid for the cheapest package there is, while the other two ladies paid for the premium package, and so she will be excluded from parts of the trip. She is also promised that the experience includes romance with one of the actors. So as she goes about the experience, it seems to be all about finding out whose intentions are real and whose are not.

It is a movie that makes fun of the Austen movies while being exactly like one at the same time, so it is entertaining. After watching this movie though, I felt odd. I really couldn't put my finger on exactly what I was feeling, but it was a very odd feeling. Maybe it just had to do with the fact that I didn't follow it very well, or maybe it has to do with my past being a little like her experience in which she cannot tell when the man's intentions are actually real or not, and being played in that sense. Maybe it was because I tend to imagine myself in those situations and I know that if I were in that situation that the same thing would have happened to me..I don't know, it was weird. The second time I watched it, the movie over all made sense and I felt better about it, but that odd feeling was still there inside me... I really can't figure it out. But, while I'm trying to figure it out, I'll just enjoy the movie and its storyline. I really do like it, and it hooked me in and I had to keep watching. Chick flicks with a nonsensical romance always get me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment