Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Power of media

So, the other day, I was really hungry while on my way to work from my class, and I saw the Choose to Give activity going on where they were giving out hot dogs. The idea was that you donate to get one, so I decided it would be a good idea to donate a little something to charity so I could get a hot dog. While in line, I was pulling out my debit card and contemplating the amount of money to donate. I tend to be a tad stingy with my money, and so I was contemplating giving a dollar, because every little bit helps, and I'm a poor starving student with all sorts of debt to pay off. When I looked up for a second though, there was a poster. The poster said something along the lines of "If you are not willing to give when you have nothing, you won't be willing to give when you have everything." Something like that. Anyway, it made me sit there and think for a second about the validity of this statement, and how it's not fully true for everybody, but you know what else I did? I paid $5 instead of $1! I quintupled my donation. The power of media, people! Just that split second to read a semi-motivational poster to make me feel bad about holding all my money to myself, and I multiplied my donation by 5.

Long story short, media is powerful, and it can be used for good or for bad. Look out for how media affects you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment